I LOVE entrepreneurs because we see the glass as half full, we know that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, and we don’t bother with “why?” but rather ask “WHY NOT?” We’re a little crazy, and that’s okay…actually it’s fantastic because look at the impact we have in the world.
OUR mindset is very different than the average population’s. (Do you really think we would’ve landed a man on the moon without visionaries like us?)
However, that being said, we are still human, and so we do fall into the same traps as others. What I’m talking about here is how important it is to THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU’RE THINKING ABOUT. And be sure to correct the “stinkin’ thinkin’” that can easily run the show and, by extension, your life and your business, if you’re not careful.
There’s a principle out there that absolutely holds true: what you think about you bring about. And, what you focus on increases….so don’t you think you’d better be AWFULLY CAREFUL what thoughts are floating through your head?
See here’s the thing…your head CAN BE A BAD NEIGHBORHOOD if you’re not careful. You’ve got to figure out what’s going on in there.
Let’s do a quick exercise to uncover what’s really under the hood…
Think of a goal/a vision you have for your business for this year and think about:
1. WHAT exactly do you want? Make it concrete.
2. How will it look, or feel? Who’s in it, what’s happening?
3. What is compelling you to do this/what is the driving force behind it? (and if you say “money” see if you can dig a little deeper to see what might be underneath that…)
Next, a few follow up questions…
(The following is adapted from the work of Byron Katie. This is a great rundown to breakthrough your limiting beliefs):
- What would stop you from achieving this goal? What is stopping you from moving forward right now? Jot this down. Put this in statement form: “I can’t move forward because I don’t have money or I don’t know how to make money” or “I am stuck because I don’t know how to get clients.”…
- Is that really true?
- Is it absolutely true?
- How do you react when you believe that thought?
- Who would you be without that thought?
- Is it possible that (state the opposite)?
- What new possibility can you create?
- Convert the thought into a more empowering one. E.g. “I can’t move forward because I don’t have money” turns into “I can find the money to start” or “I have resources I can use when needed.” e.g.“ I don’t know how to get clients” turns into “I have people who love what I do and want to help.
- Is this new thought as true or truer than the original thought?
- Is the new thought more empowering?
From the work that you’ve just done, craft a sentence or phrase that affirms your new attitude, your new thought. It may be the one you just wrote, or it may be a shortened more powerful version. Play with it. That should become your personal mantra RIGHT now so you can move your business forward.
I invite you to share your sentence or phrase that confirms your new attitude. Please feel free to comment below.